Friday 26 December 2008

Resident Alien's Christmas Day Evening -- back in England

In yesterday's narrative, we had reached the most important part of the day, for me, the Doctor Who Christmas Special, at 6pm on BBC1. This has become something of a Christmas tradition in the UK in recent years. The revival of the series from 2005 onwards was so successful that a Christmas Special was commissioned. The first, back in Christmas 2005, was the best, David Tennant's first outing as the doctor, but the others have all been fine, and this year's was the fourth. Since I do have a nerdy, Doctor Who streak, I may blog my thoughts about this episode separately, but at this point I'll just say that it was an enjoyable hour, the pleasure increased by the fact that my nieces were watching Doctor Who for the first time. My dad, my brother and my brother-in-law all fell asleep, and missed my favourite bit from the episode, but I obliged by narrating it for them afterwards.

Having said yesterday that a British Christmas, or our British Christmas, is all about telly, I am interested to find that in fact this is not really the case any more for us. So far, apart from Gavin and Stacey and Doctor Who, I have been able to take or leave the rest. And there is the far more important business of catching up with family over food and drinks.

We had turkey sandwiches for supper, latish, with another nice red, and about eight different cheeses brought over by my sister and brother-in-law. Several of us stayed up after having cleared to watch a nice documentary about Blackadder, and we then channel-hopped different bits of rubbish until bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a very nice holiday commentary. Thank you for sharing the joy of reunion! A four Tardis rating.

Had to watch the older Dr. Who Christmas Specials on DVD here in the States. Can't wait to catch the real thing for 2008 when it is broadcast in a few months. But - since I received the complete fourth season of Dr. Who for a present- I won't complain, not really; the final few episodes of that season are especially a treat to see in quick sequence without commercials.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your family, England, and Dr. Who. Happy Christmas, and God Bless all.

Brian

Anonymous said...

What, no mention of the excellent Wallace and Gromit? Shame on you lad, you missed a programme that was a cracker!

Mark Goodacre said...

Thanks, Brian. Tony: yes, I need to catch up with that. When you are with family, you can't always choose which programmes everyone watches.